The world started calling these boyfriend jeans because they seemed borrowed from ’him.’ Quite literally! This outfit is carefree, casual, and chic with a great fit around your waist and hip and broad downwards. From streetwear to airport looks, boyfriend jeans stood the test of time. If you are a little confused about how to wear boyfriend jeans, look no further for styling inspiration. This article covers 8 cool ways to wear boyfriend jeans for every occasion on your calendar. So, let’s get started.
8 Ways To Style Boyfriend Jeans
There are various ways to style boyfriend jeans. The loose and baggy fit goes perfectly for a casual day out or date night. However, it is important to note that boyfriend jeans can turn from stylish to sloppy if not paired well.
Make sure to site your jeans a few inches above your ankle, and wear them with a fitter tank top or blouse. This will complement the looseness of the boyfriend jeans and make space for a celebrity-inspired outfit.
1. How How To Wear Boyfriend Jeans In Winter
You may find it difficult to pair those loose, baggy bottoms with oversize jackets, puffy coats, and ankle boots. But boyfriend jeans can make a winter style statement, especially a comfortable layer over thermal underwear on chilly days. So, let’s check out some amazing ideas to style this outfit confidently.
- Pair your boyfriend jeans with an oversized blazer and chic patterned belt for a playful take on menswear.
- Try boyfriend jeans with a statement coat or long-sleeve blouse and sneakers.
- Your boyfriend jeans will look awesome with a bold, puffy jacket or bomber jacket and sleek ankle boots or combat boots.
- Match light-wash boyfriend jeans with a wool coat or layered sweaters and statement ankle boots.
- This fall, create a cool, casual look by wearing your boyfriend jeans with a black turtleneck sweater and white sneakers.
2. How To Wear Boyfriend Jeans In Summer
Due to the relaxed fit of boyfriend jeans, if you want to look couture vs. comfortable when out-and-about, consider pieces that give back definition. Wear shoes that have shape and tops that are fitted, curved, or belted.
Kim Hancher, style coach, suggests, “A fitted t-shirt with chandelier earrings, belt, bold colored clutch, and heels makes it dressier. The same fitted t-shirt, gold hoops, crossbody bag, and tennis shoes are a great everyday look.”
You can dress up or down your jeans with shoes and accessories during summer. Either go sporty with flats and sneakers or keep these bottoms slouchy with ladylike pumps or block-heeled sandals.
Kim, says, “Boyfriend jeans should be paired with something more form-fitting on top, not tight, but skimming the body to keep proportions right. A bodysuit, tailored men-style oxford, or a fitted t-shirt tucked in or tied at the waist are all great options.”
3. How To Wear Boyfriend Jeans With Flats
Flats impart a distinct summer beach style look, and finding your ideal pair is pretty easy. Try your favorite boyfriend jeans with a cute graphic tee and slip-on sandals. A flat sandal and boyfriend jeans appear exceptionally cool for spring and summer. You can also wear them with your favorite anklet to pull the look. Go for a toned-down aesthetic with slouchy jeans and flat sandals.
4. How To Wear Boyfriend Jeans With Heels
Boyfriend jeans hit right at the ankle or above it. Therefore, adding some height and elongation through heels is a great way to lengthen the body visually. Pair your jeans with an oversized white jacket and white high heels. You can also style a low-heeled sandal and a comfy T-shirt and toss a jacket across your shoulder to accentuate the look. Another way you can wear boyfriend jeans is with a tucked-in floral blouse, block heels, and a big, bright purse.
5. How To Wear Boyfriend Jeans With Ankle Boots
Keep your ankles warm and stand elegant by pairing your boyfriend jeans with a T-shirt (with a fun message), ankle boots, and a scarf. A pair of slouchy knee-high boots will make you appear super casual and chicer. Also, it will impart a semi-professional vibe, but you can tweak your outfit for almost every occasion. If nothing works for you, select a patterned top, baggy boyfriend jeans, and Chelsea boots to create a bold statement.
6. How To Wear Boyfriend Jeans If You Are Petite
Go for boyfriend jeans that are a bit high-waisted and not baggy. Cuff the bottoms as narrow as possible and put on cute heels, sandals, or boots. You can choose your boyfriend jeans without cuffs, but do not pick something with a wide length-shortening cuff. Also, stay away from boyfriend jeans that are too slouchy, super baggy, and tapered toward the legs.
7. How To Wear Plus Size Boyfriend Jeans
If you are curvy, a cardigan or shorter shirts are your safest bet. You can match your jeans with a black tee or a loose white tee with rolled sleeves. A blazer is a great choice if you want to keep things a little formal. Style your boyfriend jeans with a white T-shirt, light creme jacket, and block heels to add that edgy look.
8. How To Wear Boyfriend Jeans Over 50
Choose boyfriend jeans in faded to medium vintage-blue washes. Wear your jeans with hems rolled above the ankles. Do not forget to pair up a belt and half-tuck the top. You can wear a moto jacket (leave it unzipped) and keep the under-piece simple to create the illusion of a slimmer body. Add a ladylike pump to your outfit to look more fun and dressed up.
Although it is tricky to pull off boyfriend jeans at the first chance, ring some changes from your usual skinny cut for that casual, chic style. If you are afraid loose-fitting boyfriend style will not suit you and appear like a slack bag, keep in mind the following tips.
Dos And Don’ts Of Wearing Boyfriend Jeans
- Roll the hem a few inches above your ankle for a cool, laidback look. Derek Warburton, media entrepreneur and celebrity stylist, recommends, “Boyfriend jeans have a relaxed fit that can quickly become sloppy. Maintain a neat appearance by rolling them loosely to a cropped length. They should be positioned a few inches above your ankle, but this is not a rigid rule. Choose a length that is appropriate for your height and shoe choice. If you are unsure, seek a second opinion from a friend.”
- Pair your boyfriend jeans with a dressy top or sexy shirt. You can balance the entire outfit with a tube top or a glitter off-shoulder top.
- Fire up the edgy factor of your BF jeans with eye-catching garments like a leather jacket, statement shirt, and ankle boots.
- Try your jeans with a tucked-in denim shirt for that elegant aura.
- Throw on white sneakers with your boyfriend jeans and pair them with a cute crop top. You can also go for pumps or classy stilettos to create ’the legs illusion.’
- Match your jeans with black or loose white tees. Keep the sleeves rolled to echo your rolled hems.
- Try a sloppy-joe top or sailor-striped boat-neck top with your jeans to boost things a little.
- Oversized jackets and flat shoes are a great cover-up for cooler evenings without going off track from the overall theme.
- Choose an off-shoulder floral top with gypsy ruffles or a body-hugging halter-neck crop top to accentuate your feminine curves.
- Do not leave your shirt untucked. If you are not comfortable tucking in your shirt, do a half-tuck. Leave the back hanging out for a chic, street-style look.
- Do not forget the belt; otherwise, your jeans will appear sagging. Instead, wear your boyfriend jeans with a classy belt for the perfect fit.
- Do not pair your boyfriend jeans with loose and oversized tops.
- Do not buy boyfriend jeans that are too tight. Remember, this kind of bottom wear is meant to be slouchy.
- Do not wear boyfriend jeans with flannel and show skin. Jeans that are unbelievably ripped and paired with extremely tight and small tops do not look attractive.
- Avoid the ’flattening’ effect. Be careful with the accessories and other pieces you use to compose the look. So, choose tighter blouses and high heel shoes to balance the look.
Kim Hancher suggests what not to wear with boyfriend jeans:
- “Oversized sweater or sweatshirt.”
- “A blouse that doesn’t have structure or skim your body.”
- “Shackets should not be worn with boyfriend jeans.”
- “You want to be careful to show some sign of your waistline and continue to create that hourglass feminine shape.”
It’s time you ditch your boyfriend’s hoodie for a pair of jeans that are tailor-made for women. This denim will easily pull off your summer looks while staying relaxed. We hope that you feel much more confident about how to wear boyfriend jeans by now. So, try our styling tips and stay at the top of the trends with a subtle touch of masculinity in your outfit. These classy yet casual bottom garments will solve your wardrobe woes whether you want to keep things laid back or over the top.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between boyfriend jeans and mom jeans?
The fundamental difference between mom and boyfriend jeans is that mom jeans have a reasonably high waist, whereas boyfriend jeans have a low, loose waist and bottom. Mom jeans frequently feature tapered legs, but boyfriend jeans tend to hang more loosely throughout. Boyfriend jeans commonly feature cropped or cuffed legs, whereas mom jeans typically have full-length legs.
What is the difference between a girlfriend and boyfriend jeans?
The primary distinction between girlfriend and boyfriend jeans is that girlfriend jeans are slim and hug your curves. Boyfriend jeans are baggy and have more of a loose fit, preventing you from highlighting your curves. They may also occasionally extend over your ankle.
Can pear shapes wear boyfriend jeans?
Yes. Boyfriend jeans hug your hips and equalize the distance between your head and knees. If you are shorter, the loose fit will also lengthen your legs.
- Boyfriend jeans offer greater comfort than regular skinny jeans and are extremely versatile.
- These loose and baggy jeans go well with fitted tops and tees, wrap tops, ankle boots, high-heeled pumps, sneakers, and flats.
- However, always ensure to buy the right size and do not pair such jeans with baggy or loose tops and shirts to avoid the flattening effect.