Many factors like humidity, poor diet, and pollution take a toll on your hair health and make it dry, brittle, and frizzy. If you have tried all anti-frizz products and are not satisfied with the results, you need to try coconut oil hairspray for frizzy hair.
The lack of moisture in your hair leads to frizz. But coconut oil seals moisture and keeps frizz under control. It also protects your hair against heat damage. This article explores the DIY coconut oil hairspray recipe, its benefits, and how to use it. Keep reading.
DIY Coconut Oil Hairspray – Benefits
Coconut oil has been used as a traditional moisturizer since ages (1). It penetrates the hair and binds to the hair proteins, preventing damage and hair breakage (2). Anecdotal evidence suggests that coconut oil helps promote hair growth and adds shine to your hair. It also helps fight some types of fungal infections (3).
Let’s now look at the process of preparing this homemade coconut oil hairspray.
DIY Coconut Oil Hairspray Recipe
You Will Need
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- 1 capsule of vitamin E
- 2-3 drops of essential oil
- 150 ml of distilled water
- 200 ml spray bottle
- Warm the coconut oil and pour it into the spray bottle.
- Add a teaspoon of aloe vera gel to it.
- Puncture the vitamin E capsule with a safety pin and add the contents to the spray bottle.
- Add the essential oil and water and shake the spray bottle to mix all the ingredients well.
Note: Apply the hairspray from the mid-length to the ends. Avoid the roots as it can make your hair greasy. Make sure you shake the bottle before use and the coconut oil is at room temperature.
You can spritz this multipurpose DIY hair spray on dry or damp hair. Here are the other ways of using it.
How To Use A Coconut Oil Hairspray
- Spritz the hairspray on damp hair after a shower to detangle your hair.
- Use it whenever your hair feels dry or frizzy and needs a moisture boost.
- Spray it before blow drying your hair to protect the strands from heat damage.
- Coconut oil moisturizes the hair, prevents protein loss, reduces hair breakage and damage, and combats fungal infections.
- Based on anecdotal evidence, it may also stimulate hair growth.
- To gain its many benefits, you can make a coconut oil hairspray with ingredients like aloe vera and vitamin E oil.
Coconut oil is very nutritious for your hair. It penetrates the hair shaft to nourish and fortify your hair from within. It also reduces protein loss and protects your hair from UV damage. When it comes to frizz, coconut oil coats the hair strands and seals the moisture within. This reduces frizz and keeps your hair healthy. This is why it is recommended to use a coconut oil hairspray for frizzy hair. You can make this hairspray with ingredients like aloe vera and essential oils. Scroll up to learn how to make and apply coconut hairspray.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I put coconut oil on wet or dry hair?
You should put coconut oil on dry hair as it will soak up the oil easily. Water does not mix with oil, so you should not apply coconut oil to wet hair.
Can coconut oil be a leave-in conditioner?
Yes, you can use coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner. However, it may leave your hair looking flat and greasy.
Should I apply coconut oil before or after shampoo?
Coconut oil should be applied before washing your hair. It can also be applied a day after you wash your hair as it is recommended to apply coconut oil on clean hair to avoid build-up.
Can I use coconut oil on my hair every day?
You can apply coconut oil to your hair daily, but it may make it look flat.
- A randomized double-blind controlled trial comparing extra virgin coconut oil with mineral oil as a moisturizer for mild to moderate xerosis
- Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage
- In vitro Evaluation of Antifungal Activity of Virgin Coconut oil and White Palm Kernel Oil on Candida Species-Experimental Study